We Bought a Zoo (2011)

2/3

Cameron Crowe is a favorite writer/director of mine and his Almost Famous is one of my top favorite movies. I also like Matt Damon, Scarlett Johansson and Thomas Haydn Church. Plus, the title itself is intriguing, then I find out it's based on a true story. So, there was no question. I had to watch this movie. And it was okay, it did the trick, but wasn't phenomenal.

It was drenched in emotion and love. Which is why I’m sure Cameron Crowe brought in Aline Brosh McKenna as his co-writer, who did Devil Wears Prada and 27 Dresses, to nail all the nuances of those emotions. The film also focused on family and family dysfunction all around: The mother is dead, the father-son relationship was pretty miserable and they're going bankrupt. I guess I’m glad that I never had to deal with that as a child.

Nonetheless, it was a cool story and told about being adventurous and courageous and saying “why not?” In the end, I wish we had had more of Thomas Haydn Church's sarcastic comic relief and less mopey scenes, actually.

PS- great soundtrack.