Crazy, Stupid Love (2011)

1/3


There were a few amusing parts but overall it was just too sappy and cliché for my liking. I ended up being kind of bored with the emotional fluff that took up a vast part of the film.

I thought that Ryan Gosling played a super smooth guy who was amusing to watch. Too cool for school. And the babysitter (Analeigh Tipton, who has been a model) was super hot, as is Emma Stone, always. Both are of age, by the way. I checked.

Steve Carell has been on this binge of doing semi-serious family/love roles and I just don’t get it, especially thinking back to his days on "The Office" and hilarious Will Ferrell/Apatow-esque roles in The Anchorman and 40 Year Old Virgin. What's up? I guess this is sort of what lots of comedians do when they hit their mid-life crisis: Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, and, God help us currently, Adam Sandler.

Julianne Moore here reminded me of her family role in that one where she was a lesbian (The Kids Are Alright) as kind of a clueless person dealing with the complexities of love and marriage, driven to ramble to herself. The take-away message was that you should fight for your soul-mate no matter how crazy or stupid that may seem to you. Cliche. I want more humor and less sap please. Is that cuz I'm a guy?