Dark Shadows (2012)

2/3

It's a 2/3 for sure, meaning that I liked it, but with some reservations. First of all, it wasn’t as funny as the trailers promised. Actually, the writing was not all that compelling and I kinda got bored by it; it seems like the writer tried to put an entire season's worth of 1960's story into one two-hour script and it felt crammed or disjointed or something. Also, Johnny Depp’s character was a little 'off' here, almost as if he was fighting back the urge of acting like Captain Jack too much. I think his role here came out a little dull or too serious.

Overall, the movie felt kind of old-fashioned and outdated as a script, like Tim Burton wanted to do a throw-back movie, with the small Hollywood set, Danny Elfman music and quiet quips, a la Beetlejuice. That's not totally a bad thing, I guess. And, I will concede that there were funny parts and, sure, the 70s reenactment was fun. And, as always, Eva Green, my favorite Bond girl thus far, was a bit mysterious and hot.