The Avengers (2012)

2/3

I haven't always been too impressed with Marvel's movies. I think often that they can be sort of cheap entertainment in a massive, over-the-top Hollywood kind of way. Captain America, The Hulk, Thor, not totally my favorites. It always seems like it has to be a toss up between huge special effects sequences and quality writing. But, I have to say that I love the idea of The Avengers, one movie to connect them all and bring them all together (also an ingenious marketing strategy!). So, there was no way I was going to miss this Blockbuster with a $220 million budget.

I found it a little long and certainly full of its Blockbuster-self, but it was at the minimum entertaining, just what I had hoped for. The crowd also really got into it, which is fun, and just went wild at the comic inserts. Actually, I'm thankful for Robert Downey Jr because his arrogance and wit are quite amusing to watch and probably saved the movie for me. I also enjoy Samuel L Jackson, naturally, as well as the subtle softness contrast of Mark Ruffalo’s genius scientist side of the Hulk. Scarlett Johanssen’s outfit was enjoyable too. The rest, the plot-line etc, was as I expected.